Friday, June 1, 2012

Providence what Cheer!!

Being born and raised in Rhode Island I feel like I know nothing about my state. So every Thursday my friend and I try to go around RI and learn something new, well at lest I learn something new usually from my friend. ha ha! And it is AWESOME! I love finding new things about my beloved state. 


"Roger Williams Park was formed in 1873 from 102 acres of land bequeathed to the city of Providence by Betsey Williams, the great-great-great-grandaughter of Roger Williams."


Yesterday we went to Roger Williams Park, the Victorian Rose Garden was my favorite. I  counted this trip as research for my job in the bakery, because I always thought I was making my butter cream roses wrong. Then again I've never really looked at a rose while piping on a cake. 



It was a wonderful morning relaxing with a friend surrounded roses.  But what impressed me the most was the wonders in the Botanical Garden.

Botanical Center - More information
"The City of Providence began plans for the Botanical Center in 2000. The Center opened its doors in March 2007 and was voted "Best Urban Oasis" in its first year by the Editor's Poll in Rhode Island Monthly magazine. It is the largest public indoor-display gardens in New England, encompassing approximately 12,000 square feet of botanical delights"


Next we went to Slater Park.  
"Slater Park is the oldest and largest public park in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. The park is named after Samuel Slater, a famous American industrialist who constructed America's first water-powered mill in Pawtucket. The park lies on the banks of the beautiful Ten Mile River and features the 1685 Daggett House, the oldest house in Pawtucket. The park was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. It also features an original Loof Carousel."

friends being silly in the gardens!
The bandstand built in 1917
Climbing trees!
"Slater Park Zoo. Early in Slater Park's development, a small collection of animals was put on display just across from the Daggett House. In 1916, this miniature zoo housed only pigeons, rabbits, and deer which roamed in a fenced run. A small herd of elk were in residence by 1936 but not until the late 1950s were any really exotic animals added to the park's menagerie. At that time some of the deer were traded for a lion, a leopard, an Arctic wolf, a baboon, two aoudads, and several monkeys. A series of concrete-block shelters with fenced runs was constructed to house the new arrivals and others soon to be purchased from the Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus. At one time, the City of Pawtucket had an arrangement with the circus to quarter numerous animals in the zoo for several months of the year. Its most famous resident was Fanny the elephant who lived at the zoo for more than three decades. Suffering financially, much of the zoo was closed in the 1990s.[3] Today, while many of the original enclosures are still there, the area now serves as a petting zoo called Daggett Farm. "

being silly!!

It was awesome! We had such a good time and learned a ton about the state! I've been living in one of the oldest states in this country, I should learn all the I can about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment